Islanders Helping Islanders
More than 30 local resident volunteers who give freely of their time to come to the aid of those in need during medical island emergencies. These dedicated professionals respond 7 days a week, 24 hours, and 365 days a year.
Our mission is to serve our community in two important ways. First is to provide the financial support necessary to recruit, train and re-train the many volunteers that respond to our 911 emergencies. Second, is to secure the capital funds necessary for the purchase of specialized medical equipment, like ambulances, which are not included in the yearly town budgets.
In the past year, we have:
- Contributed $85,000 to the Shelter Island Town EMS Capital Fund to purchase a new Advanced Life Support Ambulance
- Purchased new CPR training equipment
- Provided financial assistance for a several new paramedics and EMTs
- Purchased state-of-the-art Airway Management tools for the Advanced Life Support personnel
- Provided funds for in-house Core Training for Continuing Education programs for EMTs